Re: address@hidden: grep-tree doesn't shell-quote-argument]

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: address@hidden: grep-tree doesn't shell-quote-argument]
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 17:10:35 +0200

address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:

> David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> grep-find _currently_ offers to edit the command and nobody complained
>> about that.
>
> See the existance of grep-tree as a complaint :-)

Hardly, since it deals with the problem of being able to enter the
required information in an easy way, not with a user requirement never
to be able to edit the command before it gets sent off.

>> So I don't see how this sanctifies to take away that possibility
>> without an easy way of accessing it in case of need, short of
>> redefining an alias.
>
> What's difficult about the C-u prefix ??

If this stops grep-find from prompting for the arguments, it does not
give you a starting place for editing.  And if it does not inhibit the
prompting, uh, we have my proposal, so you'd hardly find me objecting
to it...

>> For what it's worth, AUCTeX's command dispatcher will understand a
>> prefix-command as a request to edit the command that is going to be
>> sent to the shell, and this functionality has been added because it
>> was requested.
>
> To follow that logic, every command which eventually causes a
> command to be sent to a shell should undeerstand a C-u prefix to
> mean "edit command string before sending it to the shell" ?

Not necessarily.  It could come in handy in a few cases.