Re: address@hidden: grep-tree doesn't shell-quote-argument]

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: address@hidden: grep-tree doesn't shell-quote-argument]
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 14:23:20 +0200

address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:

> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>> IMO, grep-tree is much more user
>>> friendly than grep and grep-find (I use grep-tree all the time),
>>> while others obviously prefer the power of grep and grep-find.
>>
>> Then making one a variant of the other should save us from having to
>> remember another command name.
>>
>> The normal Emacs way: use the prefix argument.
>
> So what you suggest is that the current grep-tree should replace
> grep-find/find-grep as the default interface, and the current
> grep-find functionality should be selected if a prefix arg is
> specified.

This is somewhat radical and might surprise people.  And it might be a
good idea if previous non-interactive calls kept their API (which
basically means clever use of &optional or similar).

How about making a configurable "grep-find-prompt" option that is a
list or string with possible elements "p" and "c".  The old default
would be "c" (prompting with command), the new default "p" (prompting
for parts), and an interactive argument would temporarily give "pc",
where the parts are queried first, and then the finished command is
offered again with point at a convenient location for adding `find'
conditions.

Something like that.  That way, people can easily reconfigure the old
behavior if they want to.  And use C-u M-x grep-find RET for being
able to post-edit the command, and maybe C-u C-u M-x grep-find RET for
getting the inverse than the default behavior.

> That would be ok with me, and I will make the changes if people
> agree.
>
> This should be done before the release as grep-tree is new in 22.x,
> and there are several defcustoms which should be renamed as part of
> this rework.

Likely.