Re: Icon update

From: Bill Wohler
Subject: Re: Icon update
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2006 15:09:01 -0700

"Jan D." <address@hidden> writes:

> I think the recent changes to the tool bar icons was so that
> next_node, prev_node and up_node would clearly indicate that we are
> moving in the node (i.e. document) and not in the history of previous
> moves (see previous discussion on emacs-devel).  I think the ones you
> suggest are more of the history kind of icons.

Really? It seems that stock_left and stock_right are usually used for
history, not stock_next and stock_previous.

>                                                There are icons called
> next-page and previous-page though (attached, no up-page seems to
> exist).  But these seems to be poorly supported by the themes I have
> (no theme has customized those icons).

Gnus and MH-E use the next-page icon to indicate paging down within
the current article/mail message, *not* to the next article/mail
message. I *think* that's the intent of this icon.

In other words, stock_next-page is used to page within the current
article/message/file/node while stock_next is used to go to the next
article/message/file/node.

You do point out that the arrows are used for history, but in MH-E,
I'm using them to go to the next and previous message. Whoops.

Now, I would suggest that we take stock_previous and stock_next icons
from GNOME and use those in info and MH-E. Since the custom next-node
and prev-node Emacs icons aren't supported by GTK at all, we're no
worse off and buy consistency between Info, MH-E, and GNOME.

However, the metaphor between the next and previous icons isn't the
same as the up and top icons, as shown in the following:

PNG image

I don't think we'd want to do this. I'll ask what the GNOME usability
folks what they recommend we use for these functions and report back
here.

--
Bill Wohler <address@hidden>  http://www.newt.com/wohler/  GnuPG ID:610BD9AD