Re: Clarification on using safe-local-variable-values

From: Andrew M. Scott
Subject: Re: Clarification on using safe-local-variable-values
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 13:43:32 -0700

Chong,

    Chong> For Emacs -Q, you should not be prompted to save, since
    Chong> there is no custom-file or user-init-file. I will change
    Chong> this.

    >> Q2: Exactly where/how is the result of option "!" stored?

    Chong> Same place as any other customizations. As I mentioned,
    Chong> I'll remove the option to save for the case where
    Chong> custom-file and user-init-file are nil.

I did use emacs -Q for the bug report.

I see the same symptoms when using
% emacs &

where:
custom-file    is "/eng/eng10/amscott1/.emacs-customize"
user-init-file is "/eng/eng10/amscott1/.emacs"

C-h C-f ~/.mailrc

After answering "!" in the *Local Variables* buffer,

C-h v safe-local-variable-values returns nil

FYI, both my ~/.emacs and ~/.emacs-customize are normally
write-protected (under RCS), but even when checked out and running the
same commands after emacs invocation, I don't see changes to
safe-local-variables-values nor any files.

Andy Scott