Re: dump-emacs doesn't fail even if Pure Lisp storage overflows

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: dump-emacs doesn't fail even if Pure Lisp storage overflows
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 20:15:41 -0600 (CST)

Juri Linkov wrote:

   > But, the problem is that building of Emacs proceeds even if
   > this message is shown:
   >
   > Pure Lisp storage overflow (approx. 1173352 bytes needed)

   This message is very easy to miss.

But when you then start Emacs you get the following difficult to miss
warning on your startup screen:

   Warning Warning  Pure space overflow  Warning Warning

   There is a special function `check_pure_size' to print a warning.  I tried
   to add it to this condition, but calling it directly from this condition
   prints warning messages too often, because when GC can't be done,
   Fgarbage_collect gets called repeatedly.

Showing it at startup should be sufficient for people to notice.
They noticed it this time: the bug got reported on emacs-pretest-bug.

Sincerely,

Luc.