Re: dump-emacs doesn't fail even if Pure Lisp storage overflows

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: dump-emacs doesn't fail even if Pure Lisp storage overflows
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 02:48:07 +0200

> I've just increased BASE_PURESIZE to 1190000 because it
> seems that Solaris requires more pure bytes than GNU/Linux.
>
> But, the problem is that building of Emacs proceeds even if
> this message is shown:
>
> Pure Lisp storage overflow (approx. 1173352 bytes needed)

This message is very easy to miss.  Perhaps it should be changed to allow
highlighting by one of the compile.el rules, for instance:

emacs:0:warning: Pure Lisp storage overflow (approx. 1181968 bytes needed)

> And, the resulting emacs behaves very strangely.

Due to the following condition in `Fgarbage_collect' GC gets skipped:

  if (pure_bytes_used_before_overflow)
    return Qnil;

There is a special function `check_pure_size' to print a warning.  I tried
to add it to this condition, but calling it directly from this condition
prints warning messages too often, because when GC can't be done,
Fgarbage_collect gets called repeatedly.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/