Re: bootstrap & memory allocation troubles

From: Gaute B Strokkenes
Subject: Re: bootstrap & memory allocation troubles
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 20:40:47 +0100

On 14 jan 2006, address@hidden wrote:

> Hmm... so all the assertions related to the code that uses posix_memalign
> succeeded.  That makes me more or more suspect it's a bug in FreeBSD's
> posix_memalign.  My gut feeling is that calling `free' on a block returned
> by `posix_memalign' messes up the malloc library's invariants.

>From the node "Aligned Memory Blocks" in the libc manual:

     With the GNU library, you can use `free' to free the blocks that
  `memalign', `posix_memalign', and `valloc' return.  That does not work
  in BSD, however--BSD does not provide any way to free such blocks.

If this is information is accurate wrt. FreeBSD then that is probably
your problem, yes....

--
Gaute Strokkenes                        http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~gs234/
I want you to MEMORIZE the collected poems of EDNA ST VINCENT MILLAY..