Re: bootstrap & memory allocation troubles

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: bootstrap & memory allocation troubles
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 17:13:31 -0500

>     Can you try and undefine HAVE_POSIX_MEMALIGN so as to tell Emacs not
>     to use it, so we can see if it's related or if it's a completely
>     different problem (maybe a problem with unexec)?

> Hmmm.  Comment it out HAVE_POSIX_MEMALIGN in src/config.h allows Emacs
> to bootstrap quite fine with the new malloc() implementation too.  Very
> nice.  At least, we know how to repeat and work around the bug now :)

So the problem is either in the implementation of posix_memalign, or in my
use of it in src/alloc.c.

Can you try and rebuilt with -DENABLE_CHECKING so as to activate the
`eassert' I have sprinkled in the src/alloc.c code?

Just to be sure, try with -DENABLE_CHECKING for both cases (with and
without HAVE_POSIX_MEMALIGN).

Since Emacs's posix_memalign code has already been used for more than a year
under GNU/Linux and probably more platforms, I'm tempted to say the bug is
in FreeBSD's new implementation.  But you never know.

        Stefan