Re: Reset buttons in Customize

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Reset buttons in Customize
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 20:56:48 -0600 (CST)

Richard Stallman wrote:

       I think that it would be less confusing to just write

       For Current Display
       For All Kinds of Displays

   That is a good idea.  I would be happy to use that.

That is what I used.

       I wonder why faces do not have a "Undo Edits" (currently "Reset
       to Current") State item, like variables do.  It would be useful
       and I believe that it would be easy enough to add one.

   That is a bug--if you can fix it, please do.

I fixed it.

       `Anyway, I believe that "Show Lisp Expression" should be "Show
       Current Lisp expression", to prevent an obvious source of
       confusion: for variables, the _saved_ (or standard if no saved)
       Lisp expression is shown, for faces, the _current_ Lisp
       expression.

   I'd rather make it consistent, by changing what it does.

_For the time being_, I used "Show Saved Lisp Expression" for
variables and "Show Lisp Expression" for faces.  However, I will see
whether I can find a way to make the behavior consistent for variables
and faces without breaking anything else.  If so, these two names
could still be changed to reflect the new situation.

I will probably propose some code changes (and possibly accompanying
name changes) soon.

Sincerely,

Luc.