Re: Bootstrap failed during compile of process.c

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Bootstrap failed during compile of process.c
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 11:02:45 -0500

>     (defvar server-socket-dir
>      (format "/tmp/emacs%d" (user-uid)))

> Should not this use `temporary-file-directory'?

emacsclient.c needs to use the exact same name without having to
read&parse your .emacs.  So yes it would be good, but no I don't think it
can be done realistically.

> Why does this happen? It would be very good if new code where cross
> platform. (On the elisp level I guess that care must be taken for all
> operations handling files. Is there anything else? Maybe networking?)

The reason why I wrote it this way is because I don't know better.
Hopefully file-modes returns the same kind of values on Unix and w32 so the
above code may look Unixy but will work under w32 nonetheless.

        Stefan