Re: po file charset via auto-coding-functions

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: po file charset via auto-coding-functions
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 10:43:48 +0900

In article <address@hidden>, Kevin Ryde <address@hidden> writes:

> If you visit a po file from tar-mode or archive-mode (with "Ret", ie.
> tar-extract or archive-extra), the coding system specified in the file
> doesn't take effect.  Sometimes other guessing seems to get the right
> answer, but eg. "tcvn" doesn't work from a tar where it does work from
> a plain file.

It's a bug of tar-mode.  Thank you for noticing it.  I've
just installed a fix.  But, I can't reproduce it in
archive-mode.  Please send me a minimum *.zip file that
reproduces that bug.

> (I hope I'm right that auto-coding-functions is the place to get a
> coding system from file contents.)

Yes.  But, file-coding-system-alist is also a place to
handle it.

And, functions in auto-coding-functions is called on any
file, but currently, po-find-file-coding-system is called
only on *.po file.  I'm not sure which is better, but at
least there's a difference.

---
Kenichi Handa
address@hidden