Re: macos.texi updated

From: Adrian Robert
Subject: Re: macos.texi updated
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 15:53:40 -0400

On Oct 9, 2005, at 2:16 PM, Richard M. Stallman wrote:

You're right.. But the population of "power users" in this case for whatever reason seems fairly large (just subjective impression), and
    the requirement to learn XLFD (to compose a fontset, or whatever
else) and partake of the pleasures of asterisk-counting seems onerous.

Is there a suitable font specification syntax in some other app that
we could imitate?  I don't think it is worth while for us to develop a
new one, and if it were unique to Emacs, it probably would not be very
useful.

I agree that introducing yet-another-syntax just to eliminate XLFD is debatable. But I'm not sure whether a second syntax beyond the lisp syntax used for font specification within a face that Yamamoto-san posted earlier on this thread is needed at all. (I guess I was trying to say, "drop XLFD, and if some functionality is lost, update the lisp syntax to fix it".) But if a second syntax IS needed, CSS (Cascading Style Sheets) might be one source of an alternative that is likely to be both easier to work with and more familiar to most users than XLFD. It's also structurally more similar to the existing lisp syntax than XLFD, because it uses a similar attribute+value scheme. Compare:

(set-face-attribute 'default nil :family "courier" :height 130 :weight 'bold :slant 'italic)

.default {
    font-family: courier;
    font-size: 13pt;
    font-weight: bold;
    font-style: italic;
}

Also, because the CSS format also supports attributes like foreground/ background color and borders, it could conceivably work for face specification beyond just the font.

    XLFD should be removed from non-window-system-specific code and
    replaced with a simple struct containing the same information.

That is not a user interface proposal.  That is a proposal for a
simplification of internals of Emacs.  Maybe that would be a
simplification, maybe not.  In either case, I would rather we NOT
change this now.

But it has nothing  to do with the idea of presenting a different
_syntax_ for specifying a font, so I think it is just a distraction
from the issue we were talking about.

It is a separate issue (and I could/should have started a new thread I suppose), but it is related insofar as the exposure to the user of XLFD and the deep embedding of XLFD in the platform-independent face code are tied to one another.

In any case, I intended all of this discussion to apply to emacs 23, and to avoid unneeded distraction I'm happy to put it aside for now until 22 is out the door.