Re: address@hidden: Kill ring leak in winemacs macros]

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Kill ring leak in winemacs macros]
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 22:15:59 +0100

Kevin Rodgers <address@hidden> writes:

> Jason Rumney wrote:
>  > Jason Rumney wrote:
>  >> I'm not convinced this change is a good one. What if your macro
>  >> involves a call-process call to an external program that interacts
>  >> with Emacs via the keyboard?
>  >
>  > clipboard, of course, not keyboard.
>
> If the proposed new option's default preserves the current behavior, you
> don't have to do anything.  But if the default is to disable interaction
> via the clipboard, then you'd have to customize the option before
> executing the macro.

I'm still not convinced this change is worth making now. On X, even
with clipboard enabled, the actual copying to the clipboard is only
performed if another application requests it. Andrew Innes suggested
many years ago that the W32 clipboard should work the same way, but
noone has picked up that job yet. I don't know which way Mac does it,
but that can probably be modified to use delayed copying if it does
not already. So we are talking about reducing the functionality of
keyboard macros to get around a performance problem that does not
exist on the most important platforms, and that we know can be fixed
on others.