RE: Entering filenames with spaces

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Entering filenames with spaces
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 08:58:58 -0700

    > This gives you the convenience of using the spacebar for word
    > completion, a
    > more convenient way to insert a space (`C-SPC' is almost as
    > convenient as `SPC'), and lets you change things easily if you like.

    Note that C-SPC (which is often the same as C-@ on text terminals) is
    already bound to set-mark-command.

Yes, of course. But I don't use set-mark-command much in the minibuffer,
personally. I use the mouse to select text there (which I do seldom), and I
can use C-@ if I really need to set mark there.

Anyway, C-SPC is only one suggestion - I like it because it is convenient
(spacebar). Other possible bindings (such as C-z) for space insertion are
not much more convenient than C-q SPC, IMO.

The point is that users are free to get rid of the SPC bindings to
minibuffer-complete-word. I think that David was saying that he never uses
word completion - in that case, just removing the bindings suffices. Those
who do use it have several options, including the alternatives of binding it
to something else (to use SPC for inserting a space) and binding something
else to a command to insert a space. You could even do it one way for
file-name completion and the other way 'round for other completion...