Re: A few questions about desktop.el

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: A few questions about desktop.el
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2005 20:35:53 +0200

On 8/8/05, Lars Hansen <address@hidden> wrote:

> I don't think there is any good reason. The patch below includes your
> suggested change

In general I like your patch. A few more questions, though.

 - Why is desktop-locals-to-save automatically buffer local? I can
understand why should it be buffer-local, but automatically? I'd think
that most users/modes are simply going to add to the default value of
the variable. Or am I missing something?

 - Why is necessary to have `desktop-clear-preserve-buffers-regexp'
and `desktop-clear-preserve-buffers'? The first one cannot be modified
programmatically (there's no general way to automatically modify the
regexp), so modes trying to extend the list of preservable buffers
will have to add to `desktop-clear-preserve-buffers', which does not
accept regexps. I think it would be better to have just one list
(accepting regexps) and then combine them into a single regexp on
demand.

 - You say:

> This function assumes that the mode function is autoloaded. Is this
> requirement ok?  Is there a better solution?

Wouldn't suffice to add the requeriment that when a mode wants to add
to `desktop-*-mode-handlers', the added function *must* be autoloaded?

--
                    /L/e/k/t/u