Re: Underlining in compile.el

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Underlining in compile.el
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 02:55:25 +0300

>  > Have you tried this with the latest CVS?  This was fixed two weeks ago.
>
> Sorry, this was my mistake. I hadn't updated my loaddefs.el.

After CVS update I always run:

make; make -C lisp EMACS=../src/emacs recompile updates; make; make tags; make
info
                                                =======

to get reliable results without making complete bootstrap.
Maybe there should be a special make target that combines
both `recompile' and `updates'?

Also INSTALL.CVS could suggest using `update' in the normal updating
procedure, because errors caused by not updating loaddefs.el might be
too subtle to indicate the need to update loaddefs.el.  This means
to suggest users always run

    $ make recompile update EMACS=../src/emacs

> I still get a slight discrepancy with byte compiling:
>
> textmodes/org.el:7542:12:Warning: `make-local-hook' is an obsolete function
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This highlighting is intentional.  The `gnu' rule in
`compilation-error-regexp-alist-alist' matches `[Ww]arning\\|'.
I don't know why this was added.

BTW, there is also a similar problem in grep matches.  When a matched
line starts with a number and colon, then it becomes highlighted as
a column number.  Maybe it helps to split the grep rules into smaller
parts as Richard suggested, so if the used grep doesn't support output
of column number then grep.el won't interpret such numbers as
column numbers.

> although errors are correctly highlighted.  But maybe its another
> autoload problem.  I don't like updating autoloads for the whole
> directory because all my local copies get added.

I don't understand your problem.  Why don't you like to add your
local copies?

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/