Re: Demonstration mode...

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Demonstration mode...
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 18:58:09 +0200

"Drew Adams" <address@hidden> writes:

>         I want to use the keyboard, but have it look
>         like I would be using the mouse.  Which also shows the keyboard
>         shortcuts in the menus.
>
>     But most Emacs keyboard commands don't have any equivalent menu
>     items. So this could only work for a narrow subset of possible input.
>
>     What if you use M-x to enter commands that are worth showing people?
>     They will see the "M-x COMMANDNAME" in the minibuffer, and that will
>     tell them what you're doing as well as a menu item would.
>
> And what's wrong with using the mouse and menus to demonstrate use
> of the mouse and menus - IOW, why don't you just show the audience
> directly what you're trying to show them, instead of using the
> keyboard indirectly to show them the use of menus?
>
> Would there be a benefit for the audience in menu/mouse faking, or
> would the demo mode be only for the demonstrator's benefit?

Mostly the latter.  The former would benefit by smoother movements and
action.  Consider this as a sort of mini-demonstration movies that the
demonstrator can recite by using the corresponding key sequence.

Yes, this is for the benefit of the demonstrator: he can do what he is
used to doing instead of having to hunt through menus he never touches
usually.

> The original post:
>
>     whenever I find myself doing a demonstration of Emacs capabilities
>     and features, I find myself using keyboard commands.  That is not
>     helpful to onlookers who just see magic happening.
>
> Yes. And if you use a menu-faking demo mode and the audience can see
> both your use of the keyboard and the resulting mouse-menu-magic on
> the screen, they might be even more mystified.

I doubt they are keeping a watch on my fingers instead of the silver
screen.