Re: File menu changes (suggestions)

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: File menu changes (suggestions)
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 20:39:50 +0900

"John S. Yates, Jr." <address@hidden> writes:
> I think that we are doing a poor job of seducing CUA-reared would-be
> users into Emacs-hood by grafting-on a CUA-like menu facade when the
> very first menu likely to be invoked exposes our neophytes to a false
> similarity.

Where there it's possible to use a similar layout to other common
systems, that's done, but I don't think there's really any attempt at
all to clone CUA, and doing so is not the goal.

In other words, it's good to remove gratuitous differences from other
popular apps -- but not at the cost of actually changing the Emacs
interface.  The menus reflect the interface.

-Miles
--
Occam's razor split hairs so well, I bought the whole argument!