Re: Matches for multiline regexps

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Matches for multiline regexps
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 22:00:10 -0400

    >     The current duplicating of context lines of consecutive matched lines
    >     is too inconvenient.
    >
    > Inconvenient for whom?  The user, or the maintainers of occur?

    For the user.  grep and diff don't duplicate context lines,
    for good reasons.

I can see both advantages and disadvantages, for the user.  THe
advantage I see in listing each match separately is that you can see
how many matches there are, and where each one starts and ends.
For some regexps that might not always be obvious.

However, I am not sure this advantage is important enough to base the
decision on.

    (BTW, there are separate packages extending occur, such as moccur.el
    which could be integrated into Emacs later).

Could you tell me about moccur.el, so I can think about it
for the future?