Re: Matches for multiline regexps

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Matches for multiline regexps
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2005 23:50:09 -0400

    The current duplicating of context lines of consecutive matched lines
    is too inconvenient.

Inconvenient for whom?  The user, or the maintainers of occur?

      It really should work like grep or diff, and
    to join consecutive lines with their context lines into one block.

I am not necessarily against it.  On the other hand, I don't like the
idea of such a major rewrite of this code now.  Although it would be
part of fixing bugs in the handling of multiline regexps with context,
I would rather fix that bug in a simple way with little rewriting.