RE: debug-on-entry question

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: debug-on-entry question
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2005 10:24:59 -0700

    change the interactive specification of
    `debug-on-entry' to call `function-called-at-point'.

Yes. I've suggested this previously. When debugging, you are often in an
Emacs-Lisp buffer, and this is useful.

    For post-release: it would be good to rewrite the function
    `call-interactively' in Lisp which will allow easy modification of
    reading arguments according to code letters (e.g. in this particular
    case adding a call to `function-called-at-point' for the code
    letter `a').

Not a bad idea.

---

However, that would only help with uses of `call-interactively', not uses of
`interactive' itself.

It's probably not feasible (and I foresee immediate dismissal of the idea,
regardless of feasibility), but what about also having a mechanism to let
users extend (redefine) the predefined `interactive' code letters?

For example, a user could define his own version of `b' in `(interactive
"b...")'. Instead of having to find all occurrences of `(interactive
"b...")' and replacing each of them with his own `(interactive (list
(my-read-buffer...)...)...)', he could just redefine what `(interactive
"b...")' means, in a single place. IOW, why not make the "bindings" between
the `interactive' code letters (e.g. `b') and their input-reading functions
available to users?