Re: mouse-1-click-follows-link

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: mouse-1-click-follows-link
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 13:56:35 +0200

Jason Rumney <address@hidden> writes:

> No, I complain that it is overused. In custom, the buttons are given a
> face to make them look like buttons, so it is expected behaviour.
> Info and Help buffers are read-only, and similar to web pages in their
> nature, so it is good there.
> Gnus, compile and grep buffers are lists. They are not really like
> hypertext in that there is no or little text to click on that is not
> mouse sensitive. This makes it inconvenient to click to set the mouse
> position.

IMO, the problem is overly aggressive highlighting in those
buffers rather than a problem with mouse-1.

> This actually annoys me more in Gnus Summary buffers, where
> I want to delete spam from my mailbox without reading it.

In my Gnus summary buffers, only the sender name is mouse sensitive,
so I have no problems setting the point on a line.  Maybe you use some
other setup....

> It used to
> annoy me a little in grep and compilation buffers, but I seem to have
> managed to turn it off there (or it has been disabled).

I think that the filename/line-number are mouse sentitive now, or
was that just a suggestion for improvement?

>>Or do you complain that you cannot use it with a touchpad?
>>
>>Most touchpads have real buttons that you can use for this purpose
>>if you have to.
>>

> I prefer to have the buttons mapped to mouse-2 and mouse-3, since
> there is no reason to have a duplicate mouse-1 when tapping the pad
> does the trick.

That makes sense, yes.