Re: display-supports-face-attributes-p bug?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: display-supports-face-attributes-p bug?
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 09:34:21 +0300

> Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 09:59:04 +0900
> From: Miles Bader <address@hidden>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>, address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> That's correct for the linux console, but underlining _does_ work
> properly on xterm (and on every other X terminal emulator  I've
> tried).

Right.  And that includes many xterm emulators running on Windows as
well, such as PuTTY.

> As it seems unlikely for terminfo to be changed anytime soon (and
> broken installations would remain for a long time anyway), it seems
> that Emacs just needs to special-case the terminal name "linux" to
> reflect that underlining isn't supported there.

Yuck!  I'd prefer we invest our energy in talking the Linux
maintainers into changing their terminfo entries.  Hardcoding terminal
names is ugly and would be a maintenance mess if that terminal expands
its capabilities in the future.

We always insisted in behaving as the terminfo entry says.  The only
places where we currently look at the terminal's name is when there's
no known way if figuring out something, like with the (unknown)
default background color of the terminal.

> Currently there doesn't seem to be a mechanism for overriding the
> low-level C terminal code from lisp though.

Right.  The only existing mechanism is through the tty-color-mode
frame parameter, and it only supports overriding the number of
available colors.