Re: display-supports-face-attributes-p bug?

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: display-supports-face-attributes-p bug?
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 11:20:37 +0900

On 6/10/05, James Cloos <address@hidden> wrote:
> But note that it is possible that real underlining will be added in
> the future for those that use a framebuffer console.  It may even
> already work on non-x86, non-VGA hardware -- such as sun or ppc
> hardware -- but I do not have such a box to check.

Unless there's some way Emacs can find out the true state of things,
there's not much that can be done.  If it's impossible to tell whether
there's correct underlining support, it seems safer to assume there's
not -- or at the least don't _advertise_ that there is.  In other
words, probably the right thing to do is still emit
enter/exit-underlining escape codes for underlined faces, but have
`display-supports-face-attribute-p' return nil for the :underline
attribute.

It also seems reasonable to base the default Emacs behavior on the
current state of the most popular platform, in cases where there's no
way of distinguishing.  [Of course if we add a hack to override
terminfo, it would also be good to have a way for the user to override
that.]

-Miles
--
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.