Re: boostrap failed because of flyspell-mode-map

From: Lute Kamstra
Subject: Re: boostrap failed because of flyspell-mode-map
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 16:57:17 +0200

Nick Roberts <address@hidden> writes:

>  > After today's update of CVS Emacs, bootstrap failed with this error
>  > when dumping Emacs:
>
>  > It seems that autoload cookies are missing in flyspell.el for
>  > flyspell-mode-map and other variables it refers to.
>  >
>  > The following patch fixed the problem for me.
>  >
>  > Hope it helps.
>  > Sincerely,
>  > David
>
> I think the right fix is for someone with a clean checkout of the lisp files
> to generate and check in a new version of ldefs-boot.el

Why do you think that will solve the problem?

If I understand things correctly, bootstrap fails because of this
piece of code in flyspell.el:

;;;###autoload
(add-minor-mode 'flyspell-mode
                'flyspell-mode-line-string
                flyspell-mode-map
                nil
                'flyspell-mode)

It results in this piece of code in the generated loaddefs.el:

(add-minor-mode (quote flyspell-mode) (quote flyspell-mode-line-string)
flyspell-mode-map nil (quote flyspell-mode))

Since flyspell-mode-map isn't autoloaded (and thus not defined in
loaddefs.el), this gives an error when loaddefs.el is loaded by
loadup.el.  So even a clean checkout will fail to bootstrap.

Removing the add-minor-mode call from flyspell.el and using
define-minor-mode to implement flyspell-mode does solve the problem
for me.

Lute.