Re: isearch-lazy-highlight-face

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: isearch-lazy-highlight-face
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 17:45:16 +0300

> I'd like to rename this face to just `isearch-lazy-highlight' before the
> release (with a face alias for compability).  Any objections?

`isearch-lazy-highlight-face' was already renamed to `lazy-highlight'
in January 2005.  `isearch-lazy-highlight-face' can remain as an alias
for indefinite time.

On a related topic, I'd like to propose a slight improvement for the
background color of `isearch' face.  Currently background and
foreground colors are both light which makes the highlighted search
text hardly readable.  I'm aware of the comment in the face definition
saying why the background color must not be dark.  Surely, "magenta4"
used as a foreground color under the cursor would be too dark when the
color of the cursor is black.  What I propose is to make the background
color only slightly darker by replacing "magenta2" with "magenta3".
The character under the cursor is still well visible with "magenta3"
used for its foreground color.

 (defface isearch
   '((((class color) (min-colors 88) (background light))
      ;; The background must not be too dark, for that means
      ;; the character is hard to see when the cursor is there.
-     (:background "magenta2" :foreground "lightskyblue1"))
+     (:background "magenta3" :foreground "lightskyblue1"))
     (((class color) (min-colors 88) (background dark))
      (:background "palevioletred2" :foreground "brown4"))
     (((class color) (min-colors 16))
      (:background "magenta4" :foreground "cyan1"))
     (((class color) (min-colors 8))
      (:background "magenta4" :foreground "cyan1"))
     (t (:inverse-video t)))
   "Face for highlighting Isearch matches."
   :group 'isearch)

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/