Re: search-whitespace-regexp

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: search-whitespace-regexp
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 09:01:49 +0900

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 16:07:44 -0500, Stefan Monnier
<address@hidden> wrote:
> >       AFAICT everybody is happy
> >     with the behavior where a space in the search text is interpreted as
> > "any
> >     sequence of blank chars".
>
> > Do you mean, everyone would be happy if a space in string search text
> > were interpreted that way?
>
> Yes.  Especially if the regexp-search (in contrast) doesn't use such magic.
> This way, you can easily turn off the magic (by using regexp-search) for
> those rare cases where you really want to match "just one space".

That seems bizarre.  Using a regexp search would just mess things up
more.  Those cases where one wants a search to be exact are hardly
going to be the ones where you just want to pop into regexp mode!
[Not to mention, I suspect it will not be immediately obvious that
searches are more fuzzy than intended.]

Anyway, the statement that "everybody would be happy" is clearly wrong.

-Miles
--
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.