AW: AW: behavior of vc-recompute-state in combinationwithvc-cvs-stay-loc

From: klaus.berndl
Subject: AW: AW: behavior of vc-recompute-state in combinationwithvc-cvs-stay-local is t
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 13:21:58 +0100

>> But what i still do not understand, why vc-recompute-state behaves
>> different related if the repository is local or remote 8at least this
>> is the only difference i can imagine between the two testcases - see
>> my first postin, steps 4 and 3?

>For a local repository, VC does indeed call "cvs status" in
>vc-recompute-state, even if vc-cvs-stay-local is t.  This setting only
>affects remote repositories.

ah, now i understand - hmm, had just a look at the docstring of
this variable - hmm, who has eyes for reading has a big advantage ;-)

>> So, which mysterious things are done by revert-buffer so *after* it
>> vc-state returns correct 'up-to-date state but wrong 'edited state if
>> called *before* the revert-buffer???

>Function vc-state uses a cached value of the vc-state property (via
>vc-file-getprop).  This value gets recomputed in the course of
>revert-buffer, which is a sensible thing to do, I would think?

Yes, seems to be sensible... but how is this done - i took a look
at after-revert-hook, but no special entry for vc - so how VC ensures
that the cached value is recomputed by revert-buffer?