Re: cc-mode adds newlines

From: Andries Brouwer
Subject: Re: cc-mode adds newlines
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 22:28:06 +0100

On Sun, Nov 21, 2004 at 09:48:38PM +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 14:28:04 +0100
> > From: Andries Brouwer <address@hidden>
> > Cc: address@hidden, Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden>,
> >     Andries Brouwer <address@hidden>, address@hidden
> >
> > My point today is:
> > emacs must never unexpectedly change a file behind the user's back.
>
> Obviously, those of us who set require-final-newline to t disagree.
> So what is the point of saying in yet another way what you've already
> said so many times?

People are slow in getting my point, that is why some repetition
seems to be needed. For example, you think that setting
require-final-newline to t means disagreeing with me.
But I like the variable require-final-newline, absolutely
nothing wrong with it, especially when the default is ask.

If one changes it to t then one has asked emacs to change one's files.
Probably one does so after considering what kind of files one usually edits.
A conscious decision.

So, if you set require-final-newline to true and emacs inserts the
final newline then there is nothing unexpected about the change.

But if you do not set require-final-newline to true, in fact set
it to ask, and still emacs inserts a final newline without asking,
that is really bad.

Andries