Re: cc-mode adds newlines

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: cc-mode adds newlines
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 14:37:49 +0100

Andries Brouwer <address@hidden> writes:

> My point today is:
> emacs must never unexpectedly change a file behind the user's back.

It doesn't.  Only when you edit and save a modified file, does it
interpret the variable.

> That is, the default settings must be so that emacs asks
> before changing.

I disagree.  The default for most modes should be to keep the files as
they are without asking.  But since files without newline at the end
are not valid C files, the default for C clearly should be different.

> I do not believe that it is meaningful to have a separate
> c-require-final-newline, but should it turn out that people exist
> that really want different behaviours depending on major mode, then
> for all major modes the default must again be ask (or the value of
> the global variable).

That's your opinion, as you have made abundantly clear already.