Re: Revised lisp/progmodes/flymake.el

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Revised lisp/progmodes/flymake.el
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2004 20:10:06 -0500

    Attached is a revised flymake.el. What I have done includes:
    1. Removed XEmacs compatibility code. I think it does not make sense to
    maintain XEmacs compatibility with Emacs bundled files.

We don't want to do that unless Pavel likes it.

    2. Following Coding Conventions to remove close-parentheses on lines by
       themselves.

    3. Restructure and rewrite document strings to tips for documentation
       strings.
    But for some functions that I dont know their purposes, I just
    capitalized the first letter and add period at the end.

These are changes we do want to make, since they directly follow
coding conventions.

    4. Add eval-when-compile to one occurence or (require 'compile).

If that's correct (I don't know), it is a good change.

    5. To accomodate documentation string, I changed function
    flymake-get-common-path-prefix from
    flymake-get-common-path-prefix (string-one string-two)
    flymake-get-common-path-prefix (path1 path2)
    and change the code to use new arg names.

That is an improvement.

However, under GNU conventions, these should not be called
"paths" at all.  They are file names, or so it appears.
That's another change that should be made, but perhaps not now.