Re: display word wrapping

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: display word wrapping
Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 10:30:46 -0400

    > Note that linking Emacs with libraries not available in source form
    > and distributing the linked executable also violates the GPL except
    > in certain special cases (libraries distribute with the kernel or
    > compiler).

    The graphics libraries on Windows are DLLs.  They not only aren't
    statically linked, they are not even dynamically linked in the
    traditional sense.

Our position is that when a program is designed to use certain
specific libraries, it has been combined with them, regardless
of whether the linking is static or dynamic.

In other words, we won't let people get around the GPL merely
by putting code into DLLs.