Re: display word wrapping

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: display word wrapping
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 11:36:21 +0200

On Fri, 28 May 2004 08:57:43 +0100
Jason Rumney <address@hidden> wrote:

> Image support has always worked for me with both gcc and msvc
> (non-optimising version though).

It's been a while since I last tested all this. I'll try to find some
time to debug it properly ASAP (for some definition of "soon"). But the
gist of it is that before (about a year ago), it worked fine on
MSVC non-opt builds, and TIFF failed (crashed Emacs, really) on opt
builds. Now almost all graphics libs crash on opt builds, but I'm using
newer GnuWin32 libraries, so perhaps the problem is not in Emacs. I've
not tested recently non-opt Emacs builds, but I seem to remember I did
it once on the past two or three months and it also didn't work right.
I'll have to check it.

> I think the problems with MSVC's optimisations is likely due to
> alignment differences in structs we are passing into the library. If
> the problem is just with MSVC, we can just add a note to PROBLEMS,
> since the official binaries will be built with gcc anyway.

Well, I'd like for it to work, so I'll investigate what you've suggested.
But yes, this is a minor issue because most Emacs Windows users will use
the official binary tarball.

> I think we can
> just say that such people should recompile the image libraries
> themselves too. That is the easiest way to ensure that the image
> libraries will work.

OK, though I'm not sure how easy is to compile libtiff, libungif etc. on
Windows.

> There may also be problems with specific versions of image libraries
> that affect a gcc build of Emacs as well. These cases we should try
> to find out why and test for it when loading the libraries.

Yes. Definitely image libs on Windows builds of Emacs need to get more
testing.

                                                                Juanma