Re: convert-standard-filename's doc

From: Kai Grossjohann
Subject: Re: convert-standard-filename's doc
Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 13:13:55 +0200

> But if someone has to call `convert-standard-filename' in such a way
> that it really depends of whether the function changes / to \\ or
> ThisLongFileName.Dat to THISLONG.FIL, he can take the trouble to look
> for the different implementations. In many cases, it'll probably suffice
> to know that the function is going to make the filename valid for the
> local system.

Hm.  Now I've taken a look at the different definitions.  What do you
think about the following docstring?

    Convert a standard file's name to something suitable for the current OS.
    This means to guarantee valid names and perhaps to canonicalize certain
    patterns.

    On Windows and DOS, remove invalid characters.  On DOS, make sure to
    obey the 8.3 format.  On Windows, turn Cygwin names into native
    names, and also turn slashes into backslashes if the shell requires it.

I think this is not too verbose, and it also helps everyone to know
what to expect.

Kai