Re: utf-8 cut/paste

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: utf-8 cut/paste
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 13:22:38 +0900 (JST)

In article <address@hidden>, Sam Steingold <address@hidden> writes:
> I seem to recall that MULE considers characters as elements of these
> charsets, not as elements of the class CHARACTER, i.e., each character
> comes equipped with its integer encoding, and 2 characters which are
> identical elements of CHARACTER, but appear in two different encodings
> (e.g., #\Ц encoded in koi8 and in alt) are different characters in MULE.

Your understanding is quite correct.

> This is so absurd that I can hardly believe that anyone could ever
> conceive of this, let alone implement it.

When I desinged Mule (it was before Unicode was accepted
widely as now), there was no agreement in a character A1 in
a charset S1 and a character A2 in a charset S2 are actually
the same character.  There was no authority that says the
code point 0xE3 of koi8 and the code point 0x96 in alt
represents the same character.

> I hope it will take Emacs less than 30 years to get rid of the MULE
> dead-weight.

You don't have to wait that long.  The emacs-unicode (in
emacs-unicode-2 branch of CVS) is already there.

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
address@hidden