Re: utf-8 cut/paste

From: Benjamin Riefenstahl
Subject: Re: utf-8 cut/paste
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 01:10:17 +0200

Hi Sam,

Sam Steingold <address@hidden> writes:
> Suppose I have a utf-8 buffer (all my buffers are unicode because of
> (prefer-coding-system 'utf-8) and (modify-coding-system-alist 'file
> "" 'utf-8)) with cyrillic characters.  what do I do to get them into
> firefox?

You don't, at least not via the Windows clipboard.  Re-read what I
wrote earlier:

>> Emacs uses the legacy 8-bit text clipboard format, it doesn't use
>> Unicode even on NT-based systems.  8-bit text won't work with
>> arbitrary Unicode characters, naturally.

I assume you are on an English system.  So your 8-bit Windows encoding
is cp1252 (Latin-1 plus MS extensions).  That doesn't cover cyrillic,
so you can't cut-and-paste cyrillic.  That's regardless of what Emacs
supports or uses internally.  Emacs would have to use the Unicode
version of the Windows clipboard transfer to do this, but as of yet it
doesn't.

You can of course write the data into a file in UTF-8 and read that in
Firefox or Notepad.

benny