Re: Info-index fails on node-name "~/.cvsrc"

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Info-index fails on node-name "~/.cvsrc"
Date: 19 May 2004 08:17:46 +0200

> From: Glenn Morris <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 13:03:06 +0100
>
> Juri Linkov wrote:
>
> > How did you produce this Info index in such non-standard format?
>
> I ran `make vm.info' in the vm build directory. That runs:
>
> emacs -batch -q -no-site-file -insert vm.texinfo \
>     -l texinfmt -f texinfo-format-buffer -f save-buffer

I suggest to report that as a bug to the VM maintainer(s).  I think VM
should use `makeinfo', not texinfmt.el, to produce Info files.  That
is because texinfmt.el is unmaintained and is generally out of sync
with the development of Texinfo and the Emacs Info reader.

> So if the resulting index format is not correct, perhaps that is
> another Emacs problem.

If someone would like to step forward, take over the texinfmt
maintenance, and update it to produce the same results as the current
`makeinfo', I'm sure the patches will be welcome.  Otherwise, texinfmt
should IMHO be considered deprecated and not used by GNU projects.