Re: next-error-last-buffer

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: next-error-last-buffer
Date: 13 May 2004 16:28:16 +0900

Juri Linkov <address@hidden> writes:
> But there is the variable `display-buffer-reuse-frames' for users who
> like to reuse windows on another frames.

That is too general: it affects _all_ use of display-buffer, including,
crucially, `pop-to-buffer'.  In that context, the effect is not just
annoying, it's downright dangerous (as the user expects the keyboard
focus to be the new popped-to buffer -- and it _looks_ like it is
because the window is raised -- but in fact, the frame focus doesn't
change).

So setting `display-buffer-reuse-frames' to t is not reasonable.

> I even have no objections to changing its default value to t, since I
> can change it to nil in .emacs.  But there is no way to ignore the
> frame argument of `display-buffer' if it's specified explicitly.

If it really drives you nuts, make a special variable for this case or
something.  But please don't change the existing behavior.

-Miles
--
I'd rather be consing.