Re: Feature freeze and Tramp?

From: Kai Grossjohann
Subject: Re: Feature freeze and Tramp?
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 08:54:34 +0200

Luc Teirlinck <address@hidden> writes:

> Kai Grossjohann wrote:
>
>          * tramp.el (tramp-open-connection-setup-interactive-shell): `unset
>          HISTFILE' rather than `set -o history' to turn off the history.
>
> Is `set -o history' a typo?

Perhaps it's a typo in the ChangeLog only.

> `unset HISTFILE' would not work at the particular spot anyway, even if
> the shell is bash, because one has to export the "history-disabledness"
> and "unsettedness" of variables does not get exported.

Really?  Below, you say that `unset HISTFILE' works...  Note that the
spot we're talking about here is in the correct shell already.

>          * tramp.el (tramp-open-connection-setup-interactive-shell): Posix
>          shells don't allow you to turn off the history, so we redirect it
>          to an innocuous file and limits that file's size as much as
>          possible.
>
> They certainly do not allow `set +o history'.  After `bash --posix',
> both `unset HISTFILE' and `HISTFILE=' seem to work.  But the fact that
> they work in `bash --posix' is definitely no "proof".  Maybe some
> other shells insist on using their default history file if HISTFILE is
> either unset _or_ null, so it probably is safer to keep the current
> constructs.

Experience tells me that /bin/sh and ksh should be tested on AIX and
IRIX, at least, to make sure it's okay.  Perhaps a BSD should also be
tested.

It is of course cleaner to have no history at all ;-)  So I think I
would change if it works on SunOS, Solaris, AIX, IRIX, and one of the
BSDs.  (sh and ksh need to be tested on those OSes.)

Kai