Re: compilation-highlight-duration

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: compilation-highlight-duration
Date: 04 May 2004 19:20:19 +0200

Juri Linkov <address@hidden> writes:

> Flashing the matching lines is very distracting.

After all, you hit a command C-x ` and get feedback on where
that error/match is -- I don't see how that is distracting.

>                                                   And even though
> there is a variable `compilation-highlight-regexp' to disable the
> highlighting, when it is disabled, there is no indication at all.

That's how it used to be -- the highlight is an improvement IMO.

> So I think a better indication method is needed.  For example,
> the same methods of the compilation buffer could be used: aligning
> the source file window on specified context lines (though this is
> not good for source buffers), or setting the fringe arrow.

I don't think these options are any better --

> Another good indication method is persistent (i.e. non-flashing!)
> overlays highlighted with a special face on matching lines in
> compilation output buffer and source code buffer.

IMO it would be a lot more distracting if the highlight persisted
(when should it go away?).