Re: compilation-highlight-duration

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: compilation-highlight-duration
Date: Tue, 04 May 2004 19:55:02 +0300

Tak Ota <address@hidden> writes:
> Tue, 04 May 2004 03:43:12 -0400: Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:
>>     It is the source code.
>>
>> Why is that useful, given that the cursor will be in that line?
>
> Your question is understandable in case of `next-error' where cursor
> lands directly on the subject line.  The suggested user control is
> useful in case of `next-error-no-select' which is used in Grep mode.
> When traveling through matched lines in *grep* buffer the
> highlighting happens in the source buffer where there is no
> indication is left after highlighting is gone.

Flashing the matching lines is very distracting.  And even though
there is a variable `compilation-highlight-regexp' to disable the
highlighting, when it is disabled, there is no indication at all.

So I think a better indication method is needed.  For example,
the same methods of the compilation buffer could be used: aligning
the source file window on specified context lines (though this is
not good for source buffers), or setting the fringe arrow.

Another good indication method is persistent (i.e. non-flashing!)
overlays highlighted with a special face on matching lines in
compilation output buffer and source code buffer.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/