Re: RMAIL, MIME-related bug

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: RMAIL, MIME-related bug
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 18:06:27 +0200

> Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 16:36:26 +0200
> From: "Ehud Karni" <address@hidden>
>
> It is important if you wish to run external command on it. I use
> metamail frequently on the mail buffer. With the  current `rmail' I
> use the `rmail-edit-current-message' function to restore (almost) the
> original message (it has the `x-Coding-System' line added and the

It is also decoded into the Emacs internal representation of
characters, so you don't have the original message anyway (unless it's
pure ASCII).

> Also, you need the mail in its "undisturbed" form, if you want to
> resend it like a mail-relay (another function that I use a lot).

That's why in the past discussions of this issue someone suggested to
redesign RMAIL along the lines of Gnus: leave the original message
alone, and produce the reformatted one in a separate buffer.  This is
actually the main reason I asked Alexander to take this discussion
here.  However, it sounds like Alexander has no intent to follow Gnus,
and no one else raised that problem either (until now).