Re: suggested feature -- console-mode frame title sets Xterm title

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: suggested feature -- console-mode frame title sets Xterm title
Date: 14 Oct 2003 16:29:27 +0900

Martin Pool <address@hidden> writes:
> Some people like to have information in the title bar that won't fit
> in their modeline.

I'm confused -- is there actually any question that this is a useful
feature?  I'm constantly annoyed by `full screen' programs in terminal
emulators that _don't_ update the titlebar; it's a very useful feature,
above and beyond the mode-line.

> > How about if we have an option that would cause Emacs to either use
> > the F<num> names (default) or the new names you implemented.  If it
> > uses F<num>, that name will be displayed on the mode line, as today;
> > otherwise, the name will be displayed in the xterm's title and be
> > removed from the mode line.
>
> OK.
>
> Should this be a separate variable, or just controlled by
> tty-frame-use-title?  Should it be on by default?

That seems silly; why not just do _both_?  The `Fn' notation doesn't
take up much room in the mode-line, and is simply _different_
information that the actual title.  They're both handy.  So why not
introduce the concept of a `frame index' and display F%d of that in the
mode-line on terminals (hell some people might want to display it in X
too -- it's just a generally handy concept, given that the emacs frame
commands tend to cycle through frames in order).  [I _think_ this is
the last possibility you suggested in your original post]

-miles