Re: Idea for determining what users use

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: Idea for determining what users use
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 16:52:36 +0200

I have machines where I can read and send mail with mail applications,
but not with Emacs.  Any mail Emacs would try to send would go to
/var/spool/mqueue and stay there forever.

These are very badly configured machines.
Complain to whoever is responsible for such a brain dead behavior.

That would be me :-)

A missing sendmail or a sendmail that returns a particular error
could be a useful hint to convince Emacs to automatically try the
smtpmail package.

Sendmail is not missing and does not return any error message.  The
sendmail daemon is not running, that is all.  Why should it?  Nobody
is using it, and a potential security risk is removed. It seems excessive
to configure sendmail and start a daemon just because Emacs might want
to send a mail.

        Jan D.