Re: Idea for determining what users use

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: Idea for determining what users use
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 09:28:43 +0200

    Because they may not have configured emacs to send mail.

Emacs does not need any special configuration to send mail.
If the machine can send mail, Emacs can do it.

Many machines can't send mail, but mail applications running on those
machines can. For many mail applications you specify incoming (pop3/imap) server and outgoing SMTP server. Emacs can not know about these unless told.
Emacs uses the local sendmail by default (on Unix at least).
I have machines where I can read and send mail with mail applications,
but not with Emacs.  Any mail Emacs would try to send would go to
/var/spool/mqueue and stay there forever.

        Jan D.