Re: Subject: w32 mouse wheel handling

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Subject: w32 mouse wheel handling
Date: 26 May 2003 14:30:54 +0100

On 1271 December 1999, Michael Welsh Duggan wrote:

> I would agree with this.  When I wrote the original mouse wheel
> support (now long since changed to better implementations), I created
> the mouse-wheel event because (to the best of my knowlede, at the
> time at least) these events hadn't been standardized into a
> mouse-4/mouse-5 event at that time in X.

They still haven't been standardized as mouse-4/mouse-5, that is a
common kludge for programs that do not have proper Z-Axis handling.

I think it would be better if the events were mouse-wheel-up and
mouse-wheel-down. Then if consistency is desired, someone will be
motivated to write Z-Axis support for X.

I do agree that two seperate events would be easier for the end-user
to use than the current single mouse-wheel event.