Re: file-symlink-p for remote files?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: file-symlink-p for remote files?
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 02:22:39 -0400

    I confess that I'm rather surprised by this decision.  It appears to
    be inconsistent with another decision on make-symbolic-link that you
    took some months ago.

Alas, I don't remember that issue at all.
The question is, are they really inconsistent?

    It seems to me that the target of a symlink should either be
    interpreted as a string by both functions, or it should be
    interpreted as a filename by both functions.

I am not sure whether to agree.

What is the concrete issue as regards make-symbolic-link?  What is the
case in which there's a question about what is best for it to do?