Re: Gtk scrollbar: thumb too short

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: Gtk scrollbar: thumb too short
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 15:11:55 +0000 (UTC)

Luc Teirlinck <address@hidden> wrote

   I believe that there may be some confusion here.  If you make stuff
   invisible in such a way that the total amount of text (visible and
   invisible), between the position at the top of the screen and the one
   at the bottom of the screen, increases, the thumb size increases.  If
   you are careful to only make stuff outside the screen invisible,
   nothing happens to the thumb.  (Tested in Emacs 20.7, native
   scrollbars.)

I am puzzled.  Using 20.7, when I visit NEWS by typing `C-h n'
(view-emacs-news) and then type `C-c C-t' (hide-body), the thumb grows
bigger.

When I then type `C-c C-a' (show-all), the thumb grows smaller.

I interpret this to mean that the thumb shows the portion of visible
text shown in the window to all the visible text in the buffer.

In any event, I like this policy.

If I remember rightly I configured 20.7 this way:

        ./configure --prefix=/usr/local

(I built Emacs 20.7 a long time ago; perhaps I also added
`--with-type1 --with-sound=yes' to the configuration.)

    http://www.teak.cc                             address@hidden