Re: request for a new function, say, `sequence'

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: request for a new function, say, `sequence'
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 18:09:01 -0600 (CST)

Stefan Monnier wrote:

   I still hope we'll get a chance to change dotimes since
   it is frequent to need something like dotimes but that starts at
   something else than 0.

What exactly do you propose:

(1) Extend dotimes to accept syntax like

(dotimes (var (start end) [result]) body...)

or:

(2) Have a new macro named dorange, dofor, for (or whatever) with
   syntax like:

(dorange (var start end [result]) body...)

It would seem like either would be easy to implement, the only
question for (2) is the exact need.  For (1) there is the extra
problem of messing with the syntax of a well known Common Lisp
function, although the fact that any valid CL syntax would still be
valid and have the exact same effect makes the problem less bad.

Sincerely,

Luc.
'