Re: Status of MAC/W32/X consolidation -- first major patch committed.

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Status of MAC/W32/X consolidation -- first major patch committed.
Date: 17 Mar 2003 00:59:24 +0100

Jason Rumney <address@hidden> writes:

> As part of your changes, you introduced the following function:
>
>   static void
>   w32_get_glyph_overhangs (glyph, f, left, right)
>        struct glyph *glyph;
>        struct frame *f;
>        int *left, *right;
>   {
>     HDC hdc = get_frame_dc (f);
>     /* Convert to unicode! */
>     x_get_glyph_overhangs (glyph, f, left, right);
>     release_frame_dc (f, hdc);
>   }
>
> What does the comment "Convert to unicode!" mean?  Is there work
> required to properly convert this to Windows? If that is the case, I
> don't know when I would get time to look at it, and it will probably
> get forgotten. It would be better to revert that part of the change.

I didn't "invent" that comment... it was there already.

The above function used to be named "x_get_glyph_overhangs" calling
what used to be named "w32_get_glyph_overhangs".

I swapped the names of "w32_get_glyph_overhangs" and
"x_get_glyph_overhangs" to make the X and W32 code less different...

> As it is, the function is not needed. Since hdc is never used, there
> is no point retrieving and releasing it. So we might as well use
> x_get_glyph_overhangs directly.

I thought so myself, but it could seem like get_frame_dc had some
side-effects, so I didn't want to break anything.  If you think it is
safe to discard w32_get_glyph_overhangs, just do it!